Beatle meeting: Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr dined together in Los Angeles, with their wives

Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr remain friends. Not only they but their wives, Nancy Shevell and Barbara Bach, also have a warm relationship, so it is not strange to see the four of them sharing moments. In this opportunity, The Beatles bassist and drummer went out to eat with their respective wives at a discreet Los Angeles restaurant. The paparazzi captured them hugging and having a fun conversation in the middle of the Californian night.

They were not alone: The beatle reunion was joined by Joe Walsh and his wife. The three couples chatted spiritedly before saying goodbye. The photos were taken outside the restaurant as they hugged each other before everyone parted ways.

McCartney, 79, and Starr, 81, never stopped seeing each other and even today, more than 50 years after the legendary band broke up, they are shown together. They are the two living Beatles, since John Lennon and George Harrison died decades ago. While Yoko Ono’s husband was killed by a fan in 1980, the guitarist lost his life to health problems in 2001.

Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr dined with their wives and a couple friendBackgrid/The Grosby Group

Before the meeting in Los Angeles with his former bandmate, Paul had been photographed taking a walk in Gustavia, the capital of St. Barts, on March 28. Sir Paul wore a black shirt with shorts and protected himself from the sun’s rays with a hat and sunglasses. Meanwhile, Nancy opted for a white maxi dress covered in a vibrant floral print.

Years ago, Ringo Starr organized a mini Beatles reunion by inviting Paul to play a version of “Grow Old With Me” by John Lennon. Song that is part of the last album of the drummer, What’s My Name. “Grow Old With Me” was one of the last songs Lennon wrote before his death. The theme eventually appeared on her posthumous 1984 album with Yoko Ono, milk and honey. Starr said he was inspired to record the song after producer Jack Douglas asked him if he had listened to the Bermuda Tapes, a collection of demos Lennon recorded in 1980.

“I sang it the best I could,” Starr said of the recording in a statement. “It suits me when I think of John so deeply. And I have done my best. We have done our best. The other good thing is that I really wanted Paul to be there, and he said yes. Paul came over and played bass and also sang a little bit with me. So John is present in some way. It’s not a publicity stunt. This is just what he wanted. And the strings that Jack arranged for this song, if you pay attention, do a line from ‘Here Comes The Sun’ -by George Harrison-. So, in a way, it’s the four of us.”

Modest, the restaurant was the least of it: the important thing was that two old bandmates went back to review stories and nurture their friendship
Modest, the restaurant was the least of it: the important thing was that two old bandmates went back to review stories and nurture their friendshipBackgrid/The Grosby Group

Also Paul invited Ringo to accompany him years ago during a show in London. At the concert in which he promoted his album Egypt Station, Sir Paul gave his fans a grand moment at the O2 Arena when he invited Ringo Starr and The Rolling Stones guitarist Ron Wood onstage. The historic meeting took place to interpret the classic “Get back”, (theme included in the album let it be 1970) and offer a version, where Ringo took the drum set and Ronnie improvised riffs and plucks on a Gibson Les Paul.

That song is also the name of the documentary that was released during the pandemic that shows the Beatles in full action. “The good news is that we are editing in New Zealand and now that our country has the virus mostly under control we were able to go back to work. We are close to completing half of the film that will hit theaters in 2021, ”director Peter Jackson said about Get back.

Paul, Ringo and one last chat before saying goodbye
Paul, Ringo and one last chat before saying goodbyeBackgrid/The Grosby Group

The project had been in the works for a little over two years and it was McCartney himself who first gave a hint about the possibility of a new version of the film by Michael Lindsay-Hogg being reissued, who in 1969, while the band was recording let it Be, he took the footage.

“I tell you what I think is going to happen: There may be a remake of that movie. There’s a lot of footage that was left out, and when the original movie came out, all the attention was based on the band breaking up. For me it was a bit sad. Someone said to me the other day: ‘The general feeling of that material is very happy and very inspiring. It’s like a group of guys making music and enjoying it.’ So I think there is talk of making a new movie, ”McCartney anticipated in an interview about the documentary that had the approval and collaboration of McCartney, Starr, Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison.